I'm sure it is written, that if you are going to start blogging about life, be sure to start out with zucchini recipes to get people interested, and to use cell phone images when you have full capability of producing pretty images with a dslr..Hook, line, and sinker.
Every summer my dad's garden overflows with zucchini for us kids, and every year I forget some of the recipes we enjoyed, (so maybe this blog is also to keep me organized, It's pretty obvious I could use some of that in my life).
I turned to my personal google, (that being my instagram account) and asked people what some of their favorite recipes that included zucchini were, and here is what I they told me. I have only tested the lemon zucchini loaf, but I can assure you my reflux and I both thought it was tasty.
Zucchini lemon loaf- https://hip2save.com/2018/08/17/this-lemon-zucchini-loaf-is-light-luscious-and-lovely/
Summer Squash Gratin-https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/07/summer-squash-gratin-with-salsa-verde/
Easy zucchini roll ups- https://tipbuzz.com/zucchini-lasagna-rolls/
Zucchini Cake- last but not least, I can't not mention my mom's zucchini cake. It's so good my sister even wrote a blog post on it a few years ago.
Prep Time : 20 min
Muffins served in: 40 minutes
Yield: one 9 by 13, or 2 dozen muffins
Cake served in an hour
½ cup butter
2 ½ cups flour
1 ¼ cup sugar (original recipe – 1 ¾)
4 Tbsp. Cocoa powder
1 tsp. Baking soda
½ cup buttermilk (or milk plus 1 tsp lemon juice)
½ tsp. Baking powder
¼ cup veg. Oil (original is ½ cup)
½ tsp. Cinnamon
¼ cup apple sauce (omit if making original recipe)
½ tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 – 1 ½ cups chocolate chips (I’m just guessing – I just sprinkle it on top of the cake, or in the mix till it looks right!)
2 cups grated zucchini – peel first if you are opposed to green flecks (which I love!)
· Spray 9 by 13 pan (or muffin tins) with non-stick spray, if needed.
· Preheat oven to 325° F
· Blend butter and sugar
· Add eggs, milk, oil, apple sauce, vanilla, and mix well.
· Add zucchini and mix.
· In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients except chocolate chips. (This is very important to do separately when making a reduced fat recipe. You really need to be careful not to over-mix once you add the wet to the dry, to ensure a light and fluffy muffin – especially when the fat is reduced!)
· Add dry ingredients to wet, and mix until just combined. I believed I “pulsed” the mixer 6-7 times. You can also mix by hand, and that works out very well too.
· If making muffins – add chocolate chips now and barely mix them in J Scoop into muffin tins and bake for Approx 20 mins, until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
· If making cake – Pour into prepared 9 by 13 pan and sprinkle chocolate chips. Bake for approx 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
I have found zucchini taste amazing covered in cheese or mixed with chocolate chips, it's basically the best vessel to eat the good stuff. If you have a great recipe you want to share with people feel free to leave a link in the comments below. Thanks for reading all the way through, I myself am more than happy to not have to second guess the spelling of zucchini one more time today.